Monday, August 13, 2007

Round the World in 80? 30? 60? Days


I had an epiphany today.

I was sitting in my Law lecture today, eyes glazing over at the joyous amount of legal theory presented for our viewing pleasure on the overhead projectors, and I realised something.

I was bored.

It wasn't just boredom that had been brought about by a prolonged discussion of natural law- (although that will do it every time)- it was the sort of boredom that simmers, quietly, under the surface, patiently nettling you at intervals until you finally acknowledge the fact that it's there, and that it's kind of beginning to piss you off.

My life seems to be on constant repeat each week.

Work. Uni. Work. Uni.

I tried cutting down on work shifts. That didn't work.

I finished Eighth Grade Piano. That didn't free up much time because I didn't practise much anyway.

I bought a car. That made me happy. But all I do is drive it to work. Uni. Work. Uni. (Or on the odd occasion, for one and half hours around the city because I am a doofus)

So today, smack bang, in the middle of my lecture, I decided to take 2009 off.

And travel.

I'm a little foggy on the details, but all I know is that after I finish the Arts component of my degree (and hopefully sit my A.Mus A in Piano) I want to defer. Take the entire year off. Work to raise some travel money, then jet off around the world on a student ticket.

Learn another instrument. Learn another language. Volunteer again. Teach music. Read. Go out with friends, without having to plan two weeks in advance. Do something. Anything.

I got on STA Travel's website and started clicking random points on the Round the World Planner. One itinerary ran:

Melbourne- Denpasar (via KL)- Male (also via KL)- Nairobi- Dakar- Addis Ababa- Rome- Beirut- Athens- Melbourne.

(I did say it was random)

Then I looked at the travel warnings for Africa, which consisted of: "DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. DO NOT STRAY OFF THE PATHS AS THERE ARE LANDMINES. TOURISTS HAVE BEEN THE SUBJECTS OF KNIFE ATTACKS IN THE REGION. PICKPOCKETING AND MUGGING IS RIFE. VISITORS ARE ADVISED NOT TO TAKE PHOTOS OF NATIONAL BUILDINGS- THIS COULD RESULT IN DETENTION."

I was planning to take my year off after graduation, but I don't think I can do five years of law without a break.

Suffice to say, I retained absolutely nothing about Theories of Law today.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

YAY! I AM SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!

AFFFRRRIIIICAAAAAAAAA. WOOP WOOP.

I have torts now. TORTS. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh. kIIIIL ME. let me die now.

Rosanna said...

If you guys are planning on going off in 2009, I AM COMING.

I think it's an absolutely marvellous idea, Daph! I think you should do it. In the meantime, I think we should fill our days with lots of exciting and lovely things.

Travelling is sheer wonderfulness.

When I finish in... 2009, I am going to go and teach English in Greece for a year. Come with me xo (or come visit)

Kristine said...

I've just been thinking, HUH? What are we talking about, what is breach, IP huh?

'Are you with me, mm?'

No.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why, but this site is now written in Chinese. Hm...

COINCIDENTALLY, I'm also planning to take 2009 off to travel. Lol. Only to two places though. Malaysia and Indonesia.

I'm only doing a 3 year arts degree and I stil want to take the year off. Lol. I dunno how you survive...