Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ye of Little Faith

I officially finished exams yesterday morning (woot!) so in the afternoon, I hopped into my little car and drove off to visit a friend who lives about ten minutes away. It was the first time I'd ever been to his house, but I checked whereis.com.au before I went and the route didn't exactly look like rocket science.

Twenty minutes after I set out, I called my friend.

"Hello!" said I, brightly.

"You're lost," said he, matter-of-factly.

It wasn't a question. It was a STATEMENT. Somehow, he knew.

I honestly wish that I could have taken umbrage at this...unfortunately, he was absolutely correct.

(I did get slightly lost. But in my defence, I was only 1 1/2 streets away. Let's not even go into how I parked 2 feet from the curb. And couldn't reverse out of the driveway properly.)

I don't know what's wrong with my spatial skills. It's not like I can't read a map- I can do so when I'm stationary, sitting calmly at a table without a steering wheel in front of me, and carefully turning the Melway upside down at each turn.

But when I'm driving? Different story.

I like to blame the Asian-Female-Driver-Gene.

Otherwise, I just have to admit to my own basic incompetence....

No comments: