Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

I was waiting in the Post Office queue today when I saw this little toy called the 'Stress-O-Meter'. All you had to do was put two fingers on the little metal pads and it would tell you how stressed out you were. Supposedly.

I was actually feeling fairly calm, but when I put my fingers on it, it gave a little beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

And the light flickered to "MELTDOWN'.

Stupid little piece of plastic.

Then I remembered that I had a 1,500 word essay due in less than seven days. Which I have not started. And that not listening to thirteen weeks worth of law kinda sucks when it comes to the exam. And despite thirteen weeks of Grammar instruction I still don't know what a split infinitive is. And that maybe, just maybe, I was leaving this all a little too late and I would have to repeat another terrible horrendous semester of pure legal theory- a truly painful unit that is even better than Valium as a sedative.

I know this because I stopped staying awake after Week Three.

(That was also the class in which I lost the contact lens from my right eye- it slipped out while I was yawning. )

DOES THIS NOT TELL YOU SOMETHING?!

On the other hand, I got called back for a group interview- for the teaching position described here (if you've read that post you'll know that it's a bloody miracle I got called back at all.) The bad news is that it requires you to be free on a LOT of days for observation and training if you get past the group stage...not to mention the audition, but I doubt it'll get that far. And I have an EXAM on the observation training day.

I wonder if there's a level above 'Meltdown'?

2 comments:

Kristine said...

ARGHHH. Frig. In. Hell.

Torts in less than a week, and I am up to 'Breach'. Breach is topic 2 out of 8. BARGHHH!!!!

Contracts cram, contracts cram...

Anonymous said...

Aiyahh.... Maybe not meltdown. Think about the starving kids in Africa! (always works on me, though it's probably not a positive image to recall in moments of stress)

I am bludge Arts student. Even though it does require more effort than people make it sound, it's probably a lot less than law.