Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Election Post

Welcome to my obligatory post on the U.S election.

Judging by the number of jubilant Facebook status updates mentioning either 'Obama' or 'yes we can!' I figured it was the topic du jour so I might as well jump on the bandwagon.

Unfortunately, I'm like the yokel who's just clambered onto the bandwagon only to realise that it's full of intelligent people in suits tapping on their iPhones while I'm holding my pitchfork. In fact, sort of like Sarah Palin dipping her moose-killing toes in the big great ocean of world politics...ouch, that was wee bit harsh.

If you asked a normal person why they were supporting Obama, they'd probably tell you that the man represents hope. He represents change. He's breaking down barriers and taking one huge step forward for the civil rights movement and African-American citizens everywhere.

However, if you asked me...I'd have to be honest and tell you that I'm supporting Obama because he's cool and black and he likes Jay-Z. Plus his stepfather is Indonesian and he used to live in Jakarta...so he's cool and black with Asian ties. And for me, this is HOPE that this goes both ways...perhaps I can be Asian with cool and black connections! Hope is not lost in my quest to be cool and black!

Furthermore, John McCain can't use a computer properly. And if you're going to be leader of one of the most important countries in the world, you sure as hell should be able to open your Hotmail without a community volunteer gently guiding the mouse over your shoulder.

So.

If you were looking for an insightful view into the U.S election...this ain't it.

But whether you love him or- well, like him because nobody seems to actually hate Obama- just be happy that the citizens United States of America have elected a President that isn't a pretzel-challenged dimwit.

Is they learning?

Yes.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hate him. No! Scared shitless of him. Oh yeah.