Tuesday, November 18, 2008

*Insert Witty Burn-Related Song Title Here*

For the first time in a very very very long time, I have a rather prominent swathe of sunburn on my back.

And of course, ths WOULD be at the start of summer- when 80% of what I wear consists of backless tops or dresses.

My skin is already quite dark, so it takes sunburn a little differently. There's no prominent red patches or anything, it just turns incredibly, incredibly dark.

Today at the gym, my friend exclaimed with a gasp, "Your back...did you get sunburn? It's like chocolate."

(When I said I wanted to be cool and black, this is not what I envisioned.)

However, as I pointed out rather ruefully to my mother, the one bright spot is that the sunburn has actually spread itself out across my back in what I think looks like a kick-ass Phoenix pattern. Jean Grey, eat your heart out.

I actually got the sunburn two weeks ago at the races on Oaks Day. I didn't even realise that I got burnt until the day afterwards when I glanced in the mirror after my shower and went, "Oooh boy." The little dip between the Phoenix wings, so to speak, is where I slapped on some sunscreen with my palm. Proving that sunscreen really does work.

My back currently looks angry. And peeling slightly. I have a party on Friday night so I'm hoping that the mottled did-you-just-melt-the-milk-into-the-dark-chocolate look sort of fades a bit by then. If not I'll just have to wear my hair down and hope for coverage of some sort.

Let this be a lesson both in vanity and sun safety.

Slip, slop, slap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, amen to that. I am so so dark at the moment, it just looks ridiculous. My sister walked into the bathroom and asked if she was actually related to me. Tan can be attractive, sure...but when you're Asian peers have skin that is a nice beige-brown and you look like you live in the Carribean...well it's just weird.
AND I SHOULDN'T BE READING YOUR BLOG, I SHOULD BE WRITING MY ESSAY. BLARGH!!!

Anonymous said...

Some burn and fire related songs (not necessarily song titles as I never know them)

* We didn't start the fire
* Hot in here (also: many, many rap songs)
*On fire
*This fire
*Earth wind and fire
* Burn
*Burn, Georgia, burn
*What it is to burn

AND obviously my child is going to have a ridiculously hyphenated name if I don't get right back to it!

Anonymous said...

This is also the time to plan a style present and this is
known to be perfect right down to their footwear.

The clip must have a 'passion for Fashion' if you want to become a Fashion statement?

Today's 40 something man should find and use a wardrobe advisor who will steer him to the right is look #21 with silk slashed shirt, Alpaca hooded cape and distressed vintage jeans.

Look into my website; www.halilurrahman.eu

Anonymous said...

The Wі-Fi support covers a/b/g/n, with both prісes сomіng after a $50 rеbate and a twο-yeаг
сοntract. The samsung galaxy Ѕ3 was not launсhеd at thе IFA electronics fair,
which bеgins in late Februarу.

my websіtе - coisas.janjos.com

Anonymous said...

There is stіll not mature anԁ demand from consumers haѕ yet tο
hіt the market. An examination of 101 pоpular smaгtphone" apps" games and
оthеr software applicatіonѕ for iphone customers.

The neхt three peοple in line up-tо-date on whеrе they ѕtand.

Developeԁ by Games2win, the aρplicаtiоn is the fastеst selling smаrtρhone of all time,
ωith 5 million units solԁ οѵer the first weeκend alone.
But іt's more than that, I decided to take a test if you want your email refreshed.