Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Movie Review- '27 Dresses'

For the first time in probably about two years, I saw a chick flick at the cinema today.

I seriously needed an antidote to the UTTER DEPRESSING-NESS of Atonement, so I thought it might cheer me up. More so than say, Alvin and the Chipmunks. (I heard the Chipmunk rendition of Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" on the radio at work. I thought my head would explode.)

It did actually cheer me up. Mostly because we were getting a nice eyeful of James Marsden, who scrubbed up quite well. OK...he scrubbed up VERY well. There was also the obligatory scene where he appeared dripping wet from a strategically plotted thunderstorm, so I was happy.

As for the plot...it had as much plot as you'd expect it to have (i.e none) but I'd forgotten how good it is to see an utterly pointless movie where you don't have to think.

And did I mention James Marsden?

:D

Unfortunately, I did wake up to the news that Heath Ledger had been found dead in his Manhattan apartment, which was quite a shock. I think that anything I say here is just going to sound trite, so I might leave it at that.

But it's going to be strange watching that new Batman film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.

I watched CLOVERFIELD. which was shit. Too much shaky cam, it was the crappier version of Godzilla. Godzilla was so much more interesting and enjoyable.

Yeah, hearing Heath Ledger died is like hearing Steve Irwin died. It's hard to remember that celebrities are humand and not like... immortal or something.
LOL.

Kristine said...

I think you're top harsh when saying chick flicks have no plot.

There's a love story=PLOT.
There's a minor incident of main character stress (sauce on dress, running through airport scene, etc.)=PLOT.
No doubt there was also an ugly, hunchbacked alternative love interest in 27 dresses=PLOT.

SO THERE. PLOTPLOTPLOT. And thus all chickflicks should have oscars, and all depressing tissue wads such as 'Atonement' should be chucked out of the airlock into outer space to float around in darkness for all eternity. (Watching too much Battlestar Galactica, sorry)

Afterall, if you watch a film to escape, you don't want to escpe to a depressing place where James McAvoy and Kiera Knightley seal their unrequited love by suiciding (I haven't actually watched the film...just read your post about it)