Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm Tap Tap Tap Tap Tapping, Along...

After two weeks of waiting on spare parts, I fired up my PDA for the first time today.

The PDA was my little summer project. It's a little HP iPaq RX1950- I bought it for $49 from work because it had been sitting there naked in the cabinet for TWO YEARS unable to be sold as it had...

...no box
...no packaging
...no BATTERY
...no AC adaptor
...no synchronisation cable
...no instructions
...no CD software

On the upside, it still had a stylus :D

It was still in new condition, it was just that we had no more use for it as the whole box was AWOL. So when my manager offered it to me, I bought it.

What use do I have for a PDA, you say? Erm...not much. It does do video, music and photos, and the screen is actually pretty good for that kinda thing, but the main attraction was the built-in WiFi and the fact that you can store Word files and PDFs on it.

And admittedly, I did buy it for perhaps the most pathetic, dorkiest reason ever...I thought it would be useful for downloading law cases to read in my lunch breaks.

Hey, YOU try hefting a damn Contracts book into work and eating Maccas around the 700+ pages of boredom. This way, I can read legislation and case notes wherever I go! Ooh, the joy!!!

I managed to scrounge up some spare parts by searching eBay- I sourced an aftermarket charging/sync cable and a leather case from Hong Kong, and an aftermarket 1000mah battery from a supplier in Brisbane...all for just over $50 including postage. The lack of software wasn't the hurdle I thought it might be- I just downloaded ActiveSync 4 from CNet and everything was a doddle.

So now I'm tappity tap tap tapping everything with the little stylus just for the sheer fun of it.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap tap tap.

4 comments:

non-Blondie said...

hahaha I love those things! In my first year of uni I bought a graphics calculator way more advanced than I needed specifically because it had a stylus. I still have it so I can do addition and stuff with the tiny pen.

Anonymous said...

do you mean the big pink Ellinghaus contracts case book?

Daph said...

You get pink textbooks?! :D

Nah, I have the big blue and white one by Paterson, Robertson and Heffey :)

Anonymous said...

no more contracts talk! It is over...ovvvvveeer.

Now we have property to look forward to. If you don't join my stream i will DIIIEEEEE!!!!

But the pda does sounds pretty awesome. :P