Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!!

I figured I'd blog now, because:

(a) it's way too hot to sleep...(today was meant to be 42 degrees!!!)
(b) I also figured that I might as well sort of my New Year's Resolutions right now

For New Year's Eve, I went out for dinner with my family (which included two uncles, my aunt and my younger cousin) to this restaurant in Fitzroy famous for its Peking Duck. It was good duck, even though the waiter who carved it at the table seemed to be extremely hyper or extremely high- "Anyone here a Peking Duck virgin? No one? Who wants a leg? Who wants the bottom? If you want another just ask, we've got plenty of arse to go round...NO YOU CAN'T PUT TWO SPRING ONIONS ON ONE PANCAKE, IT IS STRICTLY ONE CUCUMBER AND ONE SPRING ONION IN A 3:15 POSITION!!!"

I am NOT kidding.

He actually threw a rather melodramatic fit upon seeing my cousin's sprig of spring onion matching the cucumber angle in a 12:00 position instead of 3:15.

Of course, it was all an act, and it amused me somewhat, but I didn't quite feel comfortable in reaching for the mandarin pancakes whilst he was waving the giant chopper around, slicing and dicing with a lot of gusto.

After the duck (in which we had Peking Duck, then the leftovers were stir-fried with bean sprouts, then the bones were made into soup) we tramped back to our place for the countdown.

Earlier in the day, I worked from 11 a.m to 6 p.m, although I was officially the acting manager between 3:30 and 6:00 p.m, which I personally found hilarious because as a youngest child, I'm extremely bad at giving orders or taking any kind of responsibility. It didn't go too badly either, although I'm sure my boss will arrive on Wednesday morning and find out that I've done something really stupid.

Anyhow, I'm going to post up my New Year's Resolutions here, and watch with a kind of detached amusement at how long it takes me to break them:

Daphne's New Year's Resolutions for 2008

1. I will make an effort to actually catch up with people

See, I suck at this. I really really suck. I'm sick of exchanging 'we have to catch up' - it should be we WILL catch up, and I haven't seen some of my La Trobe friends for...well, a year. Since I left. Anyhow, I will also be a better texter...I issue an apology for anyone who has received one of my '24-hours-after-you-sent-your-message' texts...my phone memory caps at 150 messages and I have to delete them all one by one manually.

GAAAAAARGH

I need a new phone.

2. I will actually do the readings for uni

Hah.

HAH.

Let's see how long THAT one lasts...

3. I will exercise

This, friends, is partly why I spent $100 on getting Dance Dance Revolution for the XBox 360. It has a Workout mode and a Calorie counter, so I can dance dance without the pain pain.

Supposedly.

4. I will stop eating crap. Or at least, spending ridiculous amounts of money on food.

This is a pretty important one. Stoopid attractive food court at work! Oh, and that coffee addiction!!!

5. I will not dress like a tramp

I will make an active effort to dress nicely.

Gaah.

This will probably involve sorting out my wardrobe and spending ridiculous amounts of money on clothes. Sigh.

6. I will keep track of my spending

Take note, Point 5.

7. I will be grateful for what I have

I think a lot of useless energy is spent comparing one's self to the status quo, which just breeds discontent. I'm living a life of privilege while others in the world are suffering. I have nothing to whine about.

8. I will keep my room clean

My mum recommended this one, not me.

9. I will be more pro-active.

I'm not quite sure what I meant by this, but I suppose it could be taken to mean that I need to muster more enthusiasm for whatever it is that I'm doing. Like studying. Or work. Or cleaning the house.

10. I will be more culturally-minded.

Xia, if you're reading this, I look forward to more mad dashes to the MSO. My Llama-like fishbowlin friend, I think it's time I set foot in a proper arthouse theatre with a proper arthouse movie that no one but the director can decipher. I'm also going to read all those books I've always wanted to read. (Loui, I shall make that one of my next posts.)

So yes...let's see how those all pan out.

I hope you all have a fantastic start to 2008, and best wishes for the New Year!!!

Thanks muchly for reading, btw :D





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year!
Guess what i'm doing? I'm at work! Yes i know i should be home nursing my hangover but it's hot and i couldn't sleep and for some insane reason my boss wanted me to do some reception hours. The pool's not even open and i have to call people telling them to cough up the cash...Yay for me. Anyway see you soon for some beachness!

Kristine said...

Daph, HUGE number of resolutions there!

I have made zero this year. Zero to make, zero to break! Hooray!

I should make one about study. I know, I know I should. But here's the thing...I didn't study, but I also didn't do that badly, which means I have very little incentive to study my ass off like I did semester 1 and only get an extra 1-3% or so.

I envy your beachness! Mum and Em are visiting next week though which will be nice. And I bought Bridget Jones Diary from the market and am proceeding to watch it, and no. 2, and Pride and Prejudice. MMmm

xx

Anonymous said...

WELL, I will be infinitely disappointed if you forget me Jaffle Iron, because I have already dubbed thee with a religious alias.

You don't dress like a tramp! Or if you do, TRAMPDOM UNITE! Because I surely don't dress cool enough either.

Arthouse theatre?? I think NOT. What we need to see is a FANTASmALLY SPARKLEFIED MUSICALE!!!!! Hahahha. Preferably not High School Musical on Ice.