Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Horrors of Contract Law

Y'know, whenever I watched "JAG", the wonderfully clean-shaven, square-jawed American lawyer Lieutenant Harmon Rabb never got caught up in little things like contract law cases.

He was always defending Marines under fire, or arguing on exculpatory evidence, or heightening the sexual tension over eight seasons with Colonel Mackenzie...but I don't recall him ever fussing over something like contracts.

Probably because contracts don't really make for exciting TV.

Of course, half the time I was mostly admiring how handsome he looked in his nicely starched and iron white Navy uniform, but I did pay attention to the storylines. Let's be honest- half the reason I went into law was because of that show.

Anyhow, I had my first written exam for Contracts B today and it was, hands-down, the WORST exam I've ever sat.

I knew NOTHING.

NOTHING.

Nada.

Squat.

I got to the Policy question, took one look at 'good faith in termination' and 'legitimate interest in affirmation' and almost cried right then and there.

I had a look at Question One and also almost went into hysterics.

I didn't even touch on remedies. Or damages. And that was one third of the course, as somebody on the train helpfully pointed out to me.

I'm relying heavily on the supplementary exam. Assuming there is one.

Just to make things worse, cute guy from 'X, Y, Z' happened to be sitting exactly two rows to my right and one seat up, and let's just say that was a terrible distraction. After the exam finished, he rested his head on the table, and that was pretty much how I felt at that moment.

I went into the city afterwards to meet up with my sister for dinner at the Leveson, which is famed for its Parma- it's meant to be rated #1 in Melbourne. And it was- it had actual chicken breast in it, which is a far cry from the horrors of the food court parmagianas I've encountered in my takeaway travels.

To get through the utter pain of failing Contract law, I steadily made my way through one parma, side salad, chips, lemon lime bitters, Turkish bread/dips, and a chocolate cake with white chocolate ice-cream and raspberry caramel, finished off with a cappucino (full cream...I don't know how my sis drinks that skinny stuff.)

It helped. Somewhat.

Except I've just discovered that you need 45% minimum to sit a supplementary exam.

This isn't like Chinese last semester, where they scaled the marks WAAAAY up (I wouldn't have passed otherwise). This is bad. Very, very bad.

BAD.

Had I the energy to weep, I would. But I can't be stuffed. The only good thing is that I've got a basic knowledge now, so repeating it shouldn't be as bad the first time round.

The only thing that would cheer me up right now is my square-jawed American hero, David James Elliott.

And possibly some Prozac.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BARGHHHH.


BAAAAARHHHHHH.


ARGHHHBAAARBARGHHH.


I HATE CONTRACT LAW

Don't worry daph, I had to get scaled WAY UP. I heard there was a guy who only brought it a single contract text book and a pen, and spent reading time staring at the ceiling. It may have been nadav, but i'm pretty sure he'd spend the time muttering to himself and furiously scribbling incomprehensibly advanced notes.

I NEED A BOGAN BURGER AND I NEED IT NOW.

Let me know when we can do chips and gravy!

Don't stress!

xoxox

Anonymous said...

What can I say.....

eep?