Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Auditonus Horribilis

Humiliation comes in many forms.

On Tuesday, I completely and utterly screwed up my audition with my failure to sight-sing. I've never had a strong aural sense, and I was actually one and half tones OUT and quite possibly in the wrong key.

Suffice to say, I didn't get the job.

There were other horrible moments of course- like when I tried to take a 'shortcut' before Glenferrie Rd and ended up shrieking hysterically at a particularly stubborn red light with only four minutes before the audition. Like when I started my Mazurka with an extremely heavy bang, having not played on a grand piano for years. Like when I mucked up what should have been a basic 3/4 rhythm in the harmonisation, and almost missed 'Do' by a semitone in the lyric singing. And how was I to know that the interviewer's pet hate was people who play without shoes?

I felt vaguely disappointed at the end, but it wasn't exactly what you'd call crushing. I knew from the start that I could never compete with the psycho-technical-tertiary-level-music-people and the audition also reinforced the fact that I have lost any performing ability I once had.

Plus, it was end-of-exams. And after a night of bar-hopping, I didn't even think about it.

Woot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Daph, that audition sounds terrible! On the bright side at least you are lounging in NZ now! Lucky gal.


I called the day u left but I think you left early or I missed you :(

I am on facebook. BAD BAD! So I'll see you there!

Anonymous said...

Blechhh... I feel your pain, I always failed the aural stuff. It's probably why I quit.
What an incredibly terrifying job getting process .... !!!