Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pre-Exam Period

I have never been this stressed out.

OK, I take that back.

I HAVE been this stressed out before, but I've conveniently blocked all former periods of anxiety from my mind, repressed it deep down inside where it will never bother me again (points if you can recognise the Simpsons episode with that quote).

It's like childbirth. If women remembered the horrendous, terrible pain, we'd all be only children. And if we could properly recall the horrendous, terrible pain of bi-annual exams there'd be nobody enrolled at universities.

Except for that irritating know-it-all who seems to pop up in at least one of my classes (whether it be English or Law) every semester, and who would probably happily camp in the law library cuddling all five editions of Australian Real Property Law to soothe himself to sleep with sugarplums and legislation dancing in his head.

And no, I'm not at all bitter with having to put up with him in my tutorial this semester. Nooooo, not at all.

My exams this year are Spanish (oral and written), Torts, and Property Law.

Property Law has a 30%-40% failure rate.

My tutor explained this in a cruel and matter-of-fact fashion in my first tutorial.

And she wasn't exaggerating.


And I am VERY far behind in everything. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGH.

Not to mention the Spanish film essay that has to be done with a partner. And we couldn't get the film we wanted today in reserve so we ended up watching this black-and-white 1961 film called Viridiana which one critic called "the ultimate feelbad film" of all time.

So not only was I slightly DEPRESSED at watching the nun get almost-raped for 91 minutes on a small TV with MONO SOUND, I also had a major headache.

Now I have to write 1500 words on it. Relating it to Franco's regime.

And submit a short story with an exegesis of the writing process next week.

And do the cultural test.

And try to not fail my third year first semester of law.

And for once, coffee has failed to calm my nerves.

Oh sweet, sweet caffeine, why hast thoust forsaken me?!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Ok Daph, here's the plan. We are going to use chocolate, caffeine, chips & gravy and fried chicken, and combat this exam period and beat it! With the thought of Pitt St as a reward at the end.

Don't worry matey, we'll get through this.

(Though your film choice seems particularly headache inducing...couldn't you have done...*scans brain for Spanish films*...the motorcycle diaries? Or Y tu mama tambien? OH OH! OR SPANGLISH?!! Adam Sandler...he's ethnic...)

Rosanna said...

You're right, if you did remember all the other utterly shit exam periods, you'd never do it again. And no one would ever have a job, because we'd all be so busy failing first year uni again, and again, and again...

All I can do is remind you that you DID get through first year uni, and second year... AND YEAR TWELVE. And you will get through third year! I have absolute faith.

I find watching long, chocolate-filled movies tends to help.

I am not even joking xo