Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bleeding Love

It has come to my attention that along with that dude from One Republic, Jesse McCartney was also responsible for penning Bleeding Love.

I am...not exactly fond of Bleeding Love.

I am possibly the only person on the continent who is not in love with that song, but to me it's just four minutes of a continuous, unchanging percussive beat with Leona Lewis wailing over the top. About her heart. Bleeding. Over and over again. And I get grossed out every time I hear the song because of these particularly graphic lines:

"My heart's crippled by the vein that I keep on closing/you cut me open and I/keep bleeding."

Keep, keep bleeding.

She keeps bleeding love. Or so the girl claims. From watching three seasons of House I'm pretty sure that if you cut a vein open blood comes out. Otherwise we'd just have love transfusions instead of a blood bank and they're be none of this O/A/B blood type stuff. Unless of course, everyone had certain TYPES of love that they could only accept in their veins, so say, you couldn't transfer maternal love to a patient who needed an urgent transfusion of unrequited love.

(Sometimes I think too much.)

Anyway, back to the Song-of-Much-Gruesomeness, I also realised that she makes a pun in the first verse:

Closed off from love
I didn't need the pain
Once or twice was enough
And it was all in vain

In 'vain'. Get it? Hah hah hah. Oh, Ms Lewis, you joker, you.

Still, I was shocked to hear that Jesse McCartney co-wrote it. As if I couldn't find enough reasons to bag out the pre-pubescent, helium-voiced lad.

And for me, the credibility of Bleeding Love sank even lower when I heard that little tidbit of information.

This blog post was also a good way for me to get all that Bleeding Love frustration out of my system, because when I was in New Zealand they were very fond of playing it. And when I got back to Australia it had somehow hijacked every radio station and every single work shift I was forced to listen to it until I wanted to scream. And then I'd turn on the radio when I got in the car and THERE IT WOULD BE.

And that's when I gave up radio and started listening solely to my own mix CDs.

Oh, and just in case you were having a nice evening, I am now going to ruin it for you by linking to Jesse McCartney's very own hideous helium-voiced version of his LET'S-REACH-FOR-THAT-BATHROOM-RAZOR song:

Listen to the horror.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo...we're not happy with the song then...! I have to say, I would class it as C-Grade pop, up there with anything Bec Cartwright ever sang. *Gag*

David said...

I like the love transfusions idea, with different types of love.

and i must say i usually hate pop songs, but that one i don't mind. I have not hear it much and i'm not completely sure i've heard it all the way through, but i reminds me of a 90's song that would have been popular when i was a kid.

Anonymous said...

I reckon that bleeding song is pretty good, but overplayed. Like all overplayed songs, they are killed by moronic soullessness, even if they're good, eg. Missy Higgins, Scar