Saturday, February 16, 2008

Soap!

I have a weakness for luxury soaps.

It's not an addiction or anything, but I just find the idea of spending $4, $10 or $20 on a bar of soap kind of odd- it's not something I'd normally think to buy if someone gave me $10. But I like soap. And when someone gives me good soap, it's quite exciting. And yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that that was an absolutely pathetic statement, but y'know, someone people get their thrills from sky-diving, some people get their thrills from drag-racing, and IF I HAPPEN TO GET MY THRILLS FROM SOAP THEN THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Well, actually there is something wrong (and lame) about that, but let's just pretend that there isn't and move on, shall we?

...

Anyhow...I got this 'Calming' lavender soap for Christmas in a pretty shiny mauve box, and the lovely round cake of soap inside was a soft lavender colour wrapped in tissue and encircled with a pretty purple ribbon...except I ripped all that nice pacakging off with my fingernails because I had to scrabble for it in the bathroom drawer in the middle of my shower, when I realised that the cheap 5-for-$2 Palmolive soap I'd scabbed from my parents' bathroom had withered away.

And I know that it's probably some kind of placebo soap effect, but I do feel calmer. And I smell like lavender and citrus.

I just hope that this lovely soap was not scrounged from whale by-products, because then I would be smelling like lavender, citrus and the innocent blood of practically sentient aquatic mammals.

I don't condone Greenpeace's methods, which are illegal and completely irresponsible, but at least they're bloody well doing something, unlike our little Government boat, which just follows around like a little puppy going, "Please sir, perhaps you might like to cease murdering those whales? Or....not? That's...that's ok, we'll just follow on behind sir, carry on..."

On a totally random note, SOAP also happens to be the acronym for a super-cool movie, Snakes on a Plane.

Ahhh, will the wonders of soap never cease?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm... just to clear up the Greenpeace thing (as I've become a Greenpeace snob), Greenpeace do this whole 'non-violent direct action thing', so when Greenpeace is on their boats, they do things like spraying water in front of the whaling ship's vision so they can't harpoon the whale properly or just chasing the whaling boats around without for example 'boarding them', which is more of a Sea Shepherd thing.

Sea Shepherd is really radical about things like this. And truthfully speaking, Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd hate each other and generally the leaders are hugely influenced by personal vendettas. LOL. It's rather funny. Alot of my co-workers always EXPLICITLY explain to people the difference between Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd. I'm usually like, 'Yay, you love whales!'

Hahaha... It's cool you like soap! I have the same thing with paper, kindof, but I can see where you are coming from. Lol. Or filling out forms. I find that soothing.

Anonymous said...

The secret to a long, happy (at the very least sweet smelling) life is a bountiful supply of soap - which conveniently when spelt backwards spells PAOS.
On whaling? I personally would love to marry both the SS and GP whaling boats and have their floating device children. *wails*
Hmm, with SS I heartily condone their rule breaking to stop suffering and injustice (within limits of course)- I hope one day that we'll look upon the abuse and disregard for sentient non human beings with the disgust we now have for slave traders of the 1700s.
But hey, I am an abolitionist vegan with a glint in her eye which comes of two many muffins -(see actual book: Vegan Cupcakes Take On The World). I hope to one day become a Vegan Cupcake..