Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Freecell and Snookums

I had seven hours of lectures today and I absorbed nothing.

There is a very good reason for this- several in fact, so I may as well break it down for you:
Lecture #1: Played Hearts on my eeePc for two hours

Lecture #2: Played Freecell in Equity for half an hour, then spent the remaining hour making a formula spreadsheet template to calculate just how much I spend on coffee each week. Luckily this is only Day One of the spreadsheet records, and even then I had to fight not to get a coffee half an hour ago, even though I had to pass the coffee place downstairs wafting the sweet sweet aroma as I miserably went up the escalators.

Lecture #3: Chose the stupidest spot to sit (middle row, right smack bang in front of lecturer) and almost fell asleep. Gave up on dignity and had a ten minute nap during the lecture break. Drooling over your eeePC is not a good look.

Lecture #4: By this point, I was in no mood to sit there and ponder the great intricacies of double-entrenched restrictive legislative procedures, so I did an entire cryptic crossword.

Lecture #4 was a Constitutional Law lecture. And unfortunately, I ended up sitting two rows behind The Lovey Dovey Couple.

Oh, you've seen them. Or people like them. Two inseparable things clinging to each other all the time...they're the kind of people who will make you swerve to the side and almost whack into a pole because they refuse to let go on each other's hands when walking in public, thus creating the dangerous kind of human barrier normally only seen in playground games of Chain Tiggy.

Not to mention the saccharine displays of public affection.

Kris and I had to put up with an entire semester of Property last year with Lovey Dovey Couple. Unfortunately, we ended up either sitting behind them or near them, or next to them, just because we are all creatures of habit and also, it's easier to sneak in late if you slip into the back row. I mean, they're nice people. Really. They just make me want to retch slightly.

Now I know what you're thinking. And I'd like to point out that I'm not the bitter, twisted little ball of cynicism you might think I am. I just find it extremely annoying having to sit behind two people who are cooing at each other FOR HOURS IN A LECTURE and tugging each other's noses.

*shudder*

See, there's cute. There's really cute. Then there's the so-cute-it's-bordering-on-obnoxious. And then the saccharine okay-just-stop-it-cos-it's-annoying-and-obnoxious. (See? I have a defined, objective scale.)

(There's also 'vaguely pathetic' which I sometimes employ when I'm listening to Richard Mercer's Love Song Dedications.)


Lesson to be learnt: PDAs are only bearable in the technological handheld device sense, or unless the object of your affection is Jensen Ackles.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! ah, the lovey dovey couples. I wonder if they have pet nicknames for eachother? I like making people, well one person in particular, think that K and i are a lovey dovey couple just to annoy them - so when we're wearing garments that are similar in colour i tell them that I did it on purpose so we are colour coordinated as an outward embodiment of love. mwahahaaha. sigh, i am a simple man, i enjoy simple pleasures. do they snog in public? i hate people who snog in public.

ohhhh i hope your semester is improving! equity is SHIT (over 120pages of caselaw for breach of confidence? Fuck you, equity!)!

Kris said...

Amen to Dan re. 'fuck you law!'ing over many many pages of cases. ITS INTERNATIONAL LAW. IT'S PRACTICALLY AN ARTS SUBJECT. THEREFORE THERE SHOULD BE NO CASES.

Three things Daph:

a) You can't bag out love song dedications if you were listening to love song dedications:P
b) That couple is horrible. I hate it when she tousles his slightly dirty hair. And I know what their kicknames i mean nicknames for each other are: Smoochypie, and Icklebumpkins. As opposed to out nicknames for them which are:Bleaurgh, and Reeetch.
c) I brought in my lap top the other day AND IT WAS BAD. Now I use pen and paper and all I can do is draw pretty pretty pictures.