Monday, March 3, 2008

Work Ethics

Labour Day is not a university holiday.

I almost wept from the sheer injustice of it all, as I have lectures on that day.

And then I thought very hard about this, and realised...

Lectures are not compulsory.

Duh.

We are 'expected' to attend. It doesn't mean I HAVE to attend.

Right?!

Because that is 2.5 my normal pay rate. That is $30/hr as opposed to $12. That is $200.

Versus two and a half hours of lectures. Which are TAPED and put up ONLINE.

However, I was also faced with a slight moral dilemma. Which is stupid, because I once skipped out on a three hour lecture to have a picnic in the park, and didn't feel a twinge of guilt. But there are actually staff who CAN work on Monday and I am thus taking their shift away from them.

However, I am the youngest member of the team. This means I am also have the lowest pay rate of anyone else on the staff. I have already been compensated for my managerial stint with the prime weekend shifts...but frankly, I do more work than anyone else and I get paid less. So screw that, I'm taking this shift and I AM GOING TO TAKE MY $200 (-15% tax) and I am going to....

...give it to my mother to pay back the $2800 HECS debt I owe her.

Perhaps this is why she encouraged me to skip uni and go to work instead. I really did think she'd be the voice of moral reason.

In fact, she brought up a very valid point:

Mum: If you skip the lecture, can you catch up?
Me: Actually, they're all taped and put up online for me to download.
Mum: Oh. So...why do you even go to lectures then?

*silence*

And that is my deep and profound the question for the day.


4 comments:

Kristine said...

DON'T ASK PERFECTLY LOGICAL QUESTIONS LIKE THAT, THAT MAKE ME WANT TO SLEEP IN/GO SHOPPING AND FAIL MY DEGREE!!!

Work on Labour day, I say! Take those other people's wages, and then spend them on icecream. MMmmm...sprinkles.

Pity Ed's rate is the same on public holidays...but then again I am getting $250 this weekend to stuff showbags...huzzah!

Anonymous said...

lol, i don't know why you care because nobody else will. the reason i turn up to lectures is just because of the fact that i prolly will never listen to the lecture online. lol. so lazyyyy....f

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. I love your ethics there.
I would straight away think MONEY MONEY MONEY GIMME GIMME and then all else would blissfully slide into the background as unicorns danced around happily... kind of like my mental activity in lectures anyway...

Anonymous said...

I wish my lectures were posted online. But seriously, if it's not a uni holiday, MAKE it a holiday FROM uni. call me a material whore, but I'ld rather have $$$ in my pocket than knowledge in my head. WAIT.... isn't that the whole idea of uni anyway? No wait, you're wrong I've got my priorities wrong. Awesome entry anyway!