Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tweens and Sexuality

I was at work the other day when I saw a little girl standing near the GPS systems.

A little girl, maybe eight or ten years old.

A little girl, wearing a scrap of fabric about 15 cm long that could generously be defined as a 'skirt'.

It was bloody ridiculous. I set my teeth and retreated into the back room, muttering darkly to myself and admittedly, feeling just a little old-fogeyish.

I also happened to chance upon another young girl about her age, tottering off to the bathrooms in knee-high brown boots, clutching a Louis Vuitton handbag. (I'm hoping that it was a fake...because the only Louis Vuitton thing I could ever afford to own would be maybe one square centimetre of leather with the corner of the logo imprinted on it).

Kids should dress like kids, not like miniature hookers. When I was little, I had knee length dresses, I happily wore oversized 80s hand-me-downs, and I even had bright pink leggings with saddle straps. Actually, let's face it, I'm still a horrible dresser. But I get seriously pissed off when I see all the crap out there that's marketed at pre-pubescent tweens.

On the rare occasions that I dare venture into Supre, I sometimes see little girls dragging their mothers around the store, dressed in hideous fluoro miniskirts or high-heeled boots. But that still doesn't beat what I saw whilst shopping in New Zealand a few weeks ago- a whole dance troupe of little girls, from some kind of performing arts school, were dancing to some hideous Christmas carols in the middle of a shopping mall.

Innocent enough, you say?

Except that they were dressed in short little red dresses trimmed with fake white fur with bright red hooker lipstick, dancing around provocatively in the middle of a public place. As I remarked to my aunt as we passed by, it was every pedophile's dream.

Sweetheart, you can dress like a slut all you want when you grow up. But you're a child. Go and play chasey, or cops and robbers, and for fuck's sake I will BURN that Dolly magazine if I see it in your hands.

And that, friends, is my message to the children of Australia.


5 comments:

Kristine said...

For a start you do not dress awfully, you dress very very well! (examples of this: see hot brown boots, many gorgeous dresses, the ability to apply foundation properly, unlike me)

But I know what you mean about uber skanky dressing. I don't know who's to blame, the stores? the parents? the kids? media? teachers? aliens?

The scene you described in NZ sounds like that horrible "Christmas is all around" video clip in Love Actually. Except with young young children. GROSS.

By the way, did you find my shout out in my last blog post? (the one about friends, not the latest one) I think it may be camouflaged, literally.

Rosanna said...

eefh! I hate little children that dress inappropriately. Why do they do it to themselves? WHY OH WHY?

Kristine said...

We did a Wicca project in year 10? NO! Surely I'd remember learning about satan at our non-denominational Catholic school!

But I miss you!!!

I have a favor to ask...do you mind changing the name of your blog to 'educationalcambodiaresource.blogspot.com' or 'humanrightsviolationsinasia.blogspot.com' or something, because I think they may be getting sus about how much I am reading your blog...heh heh

Love k

Anonymous said...

*wipes away a tear*

God, you are so awe-inspiring Daph.

Yeah, I saw that Xmas slutty kids in the city singing Xmas carols too. My friend was like; "Aww, how cute". I just raised my eyebrows, because there were no words to explain...

It's this capitalist/consumerist society. If I ever choose to have kids, I might have to find a hippie commune and turn them into social outcasts before returning to the real world. Lol. (MUAHAHHAHAAA... yes I am the evil parent)

Anonymous said...

i agree heartily, heartily, heartily. Its so gross and icky and will someone throw a (preferably pointy) parenting book in the parents general directioin?
Kids think dressing like that is good and normal, and to start using their bodies for attention and for not playing around and falling over like normal kids. Well, like I was as a kid. err.. am.
My pink jockey strap pants were my totes fave.